I don’t make New Year’s resolutions and it seems I’m in solid company: According to a 2013 CBS poll almost 70% of Americans don’t make New Year’s resolutions at all.
Except for runners in the Boston Marathon ready, set, go only one day of the year is foolishness. So forget January 1st.
Here’s what you can choose to do, whenever:
- Be specific. I’ll lose weight. or I’ll lose 3 lbs,.this month. See the difference?
- Think small. There’s a reason only 8% of Americans reach their goals.
- Think do-able. Want to travel more but don’t have the money or accrued time? Take day trips that are free or low cost.
- Schedule it. I’ll spend more time at the gym. or I’ll go to the gym 2x a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays before work.
- Keep track. C’mon, did you really do what you said?
- Mean it. Permanent change is meant to be life changing.
Kathe Skinner is a Marriage and Family Therapist in private practice where she specializes working with couples looking for change within their relationships. She and her husband David live in Colorado with their two change-aversive cats, Petey and Lucy.
copyright, 2018, Being Heard, LLC